9 Ways to Help
It is JFP Chick Ball season in Jackson, and this year we are helping the Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence help stop the cycle of domestic abuse in our area. The JFP Chick Ball is July 22 at Hal & Mal's from 6 p.m. to midnight. Age 18 and up are welcome; $5 cover. We'll have a full line-up of chick music (line-up announced soon). Make plans now.
There are many ways to get involved with Chick Ball and help prevent, protect and empower. Here are nine easy ones; pick as many as you can!
1. Make a donation to the Chick Ball Silent Auction. Every year, the bulk of our money comes from the Silent Auction with a tres chic collection of art and gifts donated by local individuals and businesses. You can donate up until the Chick Ball starts, although get it to us by June 23 in order to be pictured in the auction guide of the huge special Chick Issue published the week of the Chick Ball. You can drop off your donation at the JFP (125 S. Congress St., Suite 1324, downtown) from 10 to 6, Monday through Friday; contact us for more information. The Coalition will send everyone who donates a receipt for tax purposes (See the Chick Ball auction guide in flip book of Chick Issue here for 2010 and here for the 2011 issue). All donors will be thanked in an issue of the JFP after the Chick Ball as well.
2. Become a JFP Chick Ball sponsor. Write checks out to Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence and drop them at the JFP (125 S. Congress St., Suite 1324, downtown) from 10 to 6, Monday through Friday; contact us to sign up. All sponsors will be listed in Chick Ball materials and flyers as soon as possible after you donate.
3. Volunteer to help at the Chick Ball or to pick up stuff ahead of time, or help clean up afterward. Contact us to get on the volunteer list. We need help getting flyers out now, as well as gathering Chick Ball silent auction items. But you need to be on our official committee list before asking strangers for donations! We can also use any kind of chick-related decor and even corporate junk (like key chains and mugs) that we can use as game prizes.
4. Give money directly to MCADV by going to their site (http://www.mcadv.org/) and using PayPal. Note there that it's a Chick Ball donation, and contact us so we include you on the sponsor list.
5. Like and share the JFP Chick Ball Facebook page with everyone you know. Tell everyone you know! Talk it up! You matter! (While you're there, steal the Chick Ball logo for your Facebook page!)
6. Follow us on Twitter @jfpchickball and retweet us all over.
7. At the JFP Chick Ball, buy a Chick Ball tattoo, buttons or bid on Silent Auction stuff. Play games and win goofy stuff. Buy door-prize tickets at front door of Chick Ball ($5 each; $20 for five) to win wonderful stuff donated by local businesses. Lots of great gift cards.
8. Participate in the Chick Ball Challenge! Get a team of at least two and up to 20 people to raise money and gather gifts, art and gift certificates for the Silent Auction. The group who brings in the greatest total money/value takes home the new, huge Chick Bowl trophy for a year! Contact us to register and get info. Hurry!
9. Show up at the JFP Chick Ball Saturday night, July 22, from 6 p.m. to midnight at Hal & Mal's in downtown Jackson; pay $5 (or more for door-prize tickets) cover. Tell everyone you know to attend this year's 12th annual JFP Chick Ball!